How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My ex is pursuing me divorce based on irretrievable

Customer Question

Hello, my ex is pursuing me for a divorce based on irretrievable differences and more than 2 years separation. I have received the petition and it says he is asking that i pay the court fees which i dont accept. We have two adult children that live with him in the matrimonial home. I still pay the mortgage despite them not being classed as dependents. The form also asks for maintenence contributions towards them. His solicitors letter asks for half of his expenses also
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Has the divorce petition been issued by the court or have you only received a draft from his solicitors? In relation to the costs, unless you have intentionally delayed or defended the divorce then you can object to paying the divorce application costs - if this is pursued then an oral hearing before a judge will be required to set out the costs position. Regarding the maintenance for your adult children, you do not have any legal obligation to financially provide for them. In terms of a financial settlement which will need to be dealt with alongside the divorce, this is complex to provide a full answer without first having further information. Please confirm:-What assets and liabilities you and your ex have-What your income positions are
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. Thank you