How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I purchased a car with finance and had my sister as a guarantor

This answer was rated:

I purchased a car with finance and had my sister as a guarantor as I have only lived back in the UK for a year and do not have 3 years credit history. They asked me for £500 deposit which I paid on debit card to secure the vehicle. Once I received the finance documents by post, I noticed they have not deducted the £500 already paid and the finance shows the full amount the car was advertised which I will be paying for. After calling the finance company, they informed me that a tracking device had been fitted and that this was mine to keep. I was never told about this. Is this legal?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Did you get a separate loan out, or is the loan secured on the vehicle please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure as this is not mentionef but they can immobilise the car for none pmt
Do the terms and conditions of the loan which has been signed allow them to do this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will send you an attachment of the loan agreement
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did ask for copies of the loan agreement at the time of signing but they informed me the loan company would send them directly to me by mail. I am unsure if the papers I did sign on the day mentioned the £500 as there was at least 10 pages
Ok - it does not say that they can fit telematics or an device which can stop the car. if they wanted to do this then it should have been a term of the agreement, it was not.Therefore they can not do it. Further they need to credit to the account £500 which you have paid. This should show on a statement of account.You should write and complaint about the above and they will investigate it. If they do not find for you, then and only then can you complain to the Financial Ombudsman.The Ombudsman is free, independent and will consider what you have to say. Their website is: this should resolve your issue.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. That is great news. Many thanks x
Good luck. Alex