How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11373
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Good afternoon, I just wanted to know whether my wife is

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon,
I just wanted to know whether my wife is eligible for ether a leave to remain or British passport as it affect our mortgage drastically (we were accepted at 3.4% and refused because of the visa type and therefore had to go through another lander for an ugly 4.8%)
-I am a French citizen
-living in the UK since April 2011
- We lived together in the UK since April 2011
- We are married since September 2013
- My wife is Vietnamese arrived in the UK in September 2010
- She has been working for a major broadcaster since 2013
- 1st visa: tier 4 student from 27/08/10 to 30/01/12
- 2nd visa : tier 1 post study from 31/03/12 to 31/03/14
- 3rd: residence card of a family member of EEA from 17/03/14 to 17/03/19
thank you very much for your help
1. Dear Pierre, your wife will become entitled to Indefinite Leave to remain on 31st March, 2017, five years after she got her first post study visa. I regret to say that time spent in the UK as a student on a Tier 4 visa does not count towards obtaining Indefinite Leave to Remain nor does it count towards citizenship. Additionally, once your wife has spent one year on Indefinite Leave to Remain, she can then apply for UK citizenship. Accordingly, in a year's time is the soonest she can obtain ILR.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you