How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35062
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I need some advice on social services. I lived in temporary accommodation until I moved in

This answer was rated:

I need some advice on social services. I lived in temporary accommodation until I moved into my own home with my two children. The temp accommodation was of a very very low standard. I was mortified. The council who put me there had support workers there well who controlled everything even to the extent of when you were allowed to wash your clothes I was shocked. It was like sheltered accommodation or could call it a hostel. It was the job of staff there to find everyone permanent accommodation but I wanted to find my own I had to be out of the temp accommodation by 24th Feb 2016. The temp accommodation was full of drug addicts alcoholics and the odd prostitute and a most of them had social workers and luckily I found a new home all details etc were agreed around 20th feb2016 the local council wanted me really to take council accommodation I refused really. Around 10th Feb the council and one of the staff there ut in two separate referrals to social service to advice I was homeless
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And to advice I left my flat at 7 am and came back late. I had a temp job and sometimes no transport and in the mornings I had to take two children to too separate schools. Just before I moved to my own home a social worked saw me outside my flat and I explained in under 10 mins that I am not homeless and that I have found my own home and secondly when in this temp accommodation have to leave early in the morning because the children's schools are quite far from this temp accommodation and that because I don't have a working fridge in this flat I have to shop everyday to make fresh food and that my children also have sometimes school clubs to go to after scool and that was that. That was over 5 weeks ago she did ask if I would like to give my consent I an assessment I refused. She advised that's all fine and that she wiukd not obtain t me again. Yesterday she contact me to adice she thinks my children need an assessment regarded emotional issues... I advise where has this all of a sudden come from and she said she can ome to see her I advised I will get legal advise.. she the rang me hikdrens father and advised that on Tuesday next week she is going to our to request an order for a child's assessmentie a child assessment order. I don't know what to do I'm so shocked I don't know anything about this no one has given me a o enter really to say anything I would like some urgent advice. While living in this temp accommodation everything has been blow out of proportion and contact. Please advice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhy do you not wish an assessment to be done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because I and both my children have a very good record and reputation with the schools they go to. My children have never had any problems with their doctors etc. My daughter also goes to a private school and I feel it would also be quite embarasing and we'll I think her teachers would also be a bit shocked that their asking in school about my daughter and the same for my son.I know very well though if they did an assessment any records or any enquiries at school or doctors records etc would show no concerns about anything I'm not worried about that at all. My children are very healthy happy and well presented all the time.But four years ago I had a domestic with my ex husband, he hit me, he was also mentally abusive, I reported him to the police and then let him back after three months of that incident, when he returned home social services got involved and asked him to do anger management course , then he kidnapped me and my two children and took us abroad he ran away as well from them and their help. He then forced me to go through a non consenting divorce in India in 2012 then abandoned me and my children at an airport in India in the same year. I returned back to UK. ..and I lost all the contents I ever owned and two newly built properties two pharmacies and a website and lost all my mutual friends. Ex husband harassed me after that and I was homeless. In 2014 he kidnapped me and my children and took us all to india again. It was horrible. He and his wife and his parents then took my children kept them both in India and we'll I returned back to the uk in Feb 2014. I then found a solicitor and with great difficulty I got my children back in December 2014 through the high courts of London. I was living in my mother's house when I was going through this. Very briefly when my children returned back to UK a social worker came only once to once to my mother's house for about 10 minutes just to check the house was suitable, etc.... so I've already had dealings with them and I've put it all behind me and it's upsetting and was even difficult dealing with them then because somebody you don't know knows all your details. And I don't want to go all over this again. Thats why I didn't want to do this assessment. This social worker who call me three days ago was also asking about this the other day and questioning about this domestic it was over four years ago. When I got my children back my mother left the house and I went to work as a Driving Instructor and started all again in July 2015 she went to a solicitor with my sister and removed me and children from the house she is over 75 and didn't want us around. I did have high court orders at the time to stay there. I then got a private house with a guarrentor bease of bankruptcy but the house was in the countryside and it was a bit December last year I decided best to move near the kids schools and couldn't find a rented house so quickly so that's how I ended up in this temp accommodation. But now I have my own home after four years and me and children are so happy at last I'm not working at the moment because I wanted to take some time out to look after my children And I have just got my life back and I'm frightened that social services will bring this all up and blow it out of proportion. I have been through enough already. Sorry to ramble buts that's why.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you maybe saying before they go to the courts on Tuesday I should agree to this assessment would that be better
The traumatic history of the past few years are sufficient to justify Social Services having concerns about how the children have coped with what has happened - and to see if there is any help that you should be offeredThere is no need to be ashamed - none of it was your doing - and the school will not be surprised at all - it will have happened in other cases where there had been a great deal less trauma.I understand all to well why you are worried about them involving themselves - and you should always be careful about what you say to them - but there is no reason to resist the assessment - and yes I suggest that tomorrow you call them and say that you realise now that they are in fact trying to assist the children and not penalise you.You can also get support from the Family Rights Group ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you