How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am starting the process of extending the lease on my house,

This answer was rated:

I am starting the process of extending the lease on my house, which is currently 65 years. The housing association I bought the house from originally are going to charge me £480 for a valuation, £500 to cover their legal fees and £16 for land registry documents which I already have in my bundle of papers when the mortgage was paid off. Can I not just instruct my own solicitor to carry out the process and pay them, rather than pay the housing association costs on top of my own solicitor costs.
Many thanks, ***** *****
Hi, thank you for your question. You should check what it states in your lease, as it is standard for most freeholders to include that the leaseholder pays for the freeholder's costs in relation to applications to extend the leases. In any event, both you and the freeholder will need separate legal representation in this process.Please provide a positive rating if you found this helpful. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you