How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a secure tenant in a beautiful, grade two listed Council

This answer was rated:

I am a secure tenant in a beautiful, grade two listed Council property. My brother was assured, before moving into the two bedroomed Lodge, that he would become a tenant only after a 'Probationary Period' of one year.
This period has passed. The company who manage the property for the council: Tristar Homes have just informed us that the law has been changed and my brother will no longer become a tenant.
My rental agreement has therefore been changed retrospectively and I question the legality of this.
My brother has been paying part of the rent to the Management Company by direct debit for two years.
We would simply like him to be recognised as a tenant which would offer him some security. ( I'm a pensioner and he is in his 60's)
Would you please advise ?
Thanking you in anticipation,
Jean robinson.
Hello Jean my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Just to be clear, is the property you and your brother occupy the same?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Alex,
yes, my brother moved into my home.
Ok - has there ever been a succession with the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My mother and I moved into the property together in 2007. she passed away 4 years ago there has not been a succession.....her name was simply removed from the Tenancy agreement in 2010.
Ok, in law there can 1 succession. not 2 or 3, just 1. So if there has not been a succession then your brother is entitled to succeed, but only when you die. He would have to show he has been there for 1 year in the property.If he can show there has never been a succession and he has been there for 1 year then he will be entitled to succeed.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The removal of my mothers name from the tenancy can not possibly be considered a succession can it ?
We began the tenancy as 'joint' tenants.
Only if someone else was added - that is all.
Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does. Many thanks for your help.
Great. Good luck and if I could ask you to rate my answer before you go, so the site pays me for the time spent with you
Thanks in advance and have a great weekend. Alex
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you