How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have property, a car, that has been damaged by water whilst

This answer was rated:

I have property, a car, that has been damaged by water whilst held at a garage. The car was being held inside whilst waiting for work to be carried out, when this was delayed I was told the car would be held outside, but under proper coverage. On collecting the car due to no progress with the work to be completed I dicovered the damage due to negligent and careless storage. Do I have a case to claim for damages ?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Yes you do. They have a duty to take care of your goods and as such you are entitled to sue for damages to get the car rectified. You need to get a number of quotes for getting the car put right - this would then form your loss. You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply, Alex. The car had been held by the garage since September last year, I originally placed it with them based on their claim of being able to provide a solution to the problem I had with it. Time passed and it became clear that the garage had lost interest in carrying out the work, hence my collecting of it. As I work freeance I had to take a day off work + hire a car transporter to collect the car - can I also claim this cost ?
Yes you can claim this as well. This is a reasonably foreseeable loss.
Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does, thank you. Just one more question. As this is not a typical car and has a specialised engine, getting quotes to rectify the damage is itself going take time and expense, especially as it is not drivable. How long do I have to make a claim ? Is it possible to send a letter of intent with notification of costs to follow once when I get them ?
You have three years to make a claim from the time the negligence happened. Yes you can follow up with costs after the initial letter. Does that clairfy? Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Alex,
If I may just ask another question that has occurred to me. If the garage in question reply to my complaint with an offer to put right the damage, am I obliged to accept the offer ? Given how thing gone thus far I would not want to accept such an offer for fear of further bad work compounding the issue.
You should because you are mitigating the loss. Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome