How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I received a Parking Fine from the Metropolitan Police for

Customer Question

I received a Parking Fine from the Metropolitan Police for going through a Red light, as the temporary lights were not working. The fine set out to options: Option 1 pay a fine £100 and attend a driving safety awareness course. Option 2 pay a fine of £97 and receive 3 points on your licence. Immediately, I called the Police to explain the circumstances, I followed this up with a letter and agreed to pay £100. By the time the Police replied to my letter, Option 1 of the initial offers was no longer available as this was time bound. This was not explained during the conversation on the phone. In total confusion, I called the Police again who advised me to await a summons to attend Court. Again, I followed up with phone calls and letters the summons never arrived. I have received the Court papers after the Court met on March 4th 2016. The fine has tripled to £327 with points. I have been trying to get advice about this but apparently these issues are not covered by the local Citizen Advice Bureaus. I am concerned that Courts tend not to pay attention to lay people as opposed to solicitors but could you please advise how I can challenge and appeal this? This is so unfair
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Did the fixed penalty notice not say the speed awareness course was time limited?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, as I said the Option 1 was time bound
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I just needed to clarify. If you didnt get the Court papers then you can give a statutory declaration, that is you are declaring that you never had the papers.If accepted the Court will set the matter aside and proceedings can be started again. But I should warn you that if you give a statutory declaration but found out later to know about proceedings you may be guilty of contempt of Court.But make a statutory declaration and it can be set aside.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex