How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10739
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My husband and I have a legal charge registered with the Land

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have a legal charge registered with the Land Registry on a property we help my daughter and her then partner purchase. (they have now been married for some time). We keep saying we will remove the charge but do not want to pay lots of money over in legal fees!
I have downloaded a form from the Land Registry site DS2 can this be used to take off the charge from the property or do we have to use an authorised Conveyancer?
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.You and your husband need to complete and sign a DS1, and submit this to the Land Registry with DS2.If a Solicitor does not lodge the application on your behalf, you will also need to complete a ID1 Form (can download this from the Land Registry ) which is evidence of your identity which the Land Registry require if any application is received from a private individual (to guard against fraudulent applications).If you do lodge the application yourselves and hence need to complete the ID1, you will need to go and see a local Solicitor as part of the ID1 needs to be filled in by a Solicitor who will need to see your passports and sign the back of a recent passport photo of you both. Solicitors will charge anything from £25-£100 to complete the ID1 for you.So, either way, you will need to involve a Solicitor, but it won't cost you hundreds of pounds!I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.Kind RegardsAl
Aston Lawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The explanation as to how to proceed is just what was required. I can go forward now and complete the task.
Many thanks.Good luck!Best WishesAl