How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49801
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have worked same company 10 years and have

This answer was rated:

I have worked for the same company for over 10 years and have contributed to the company pension scheme from the start with the company doubling my contribution.since I became 65 ,am 68 now and still working for them, however they are not contributing towards my pension anymore although I continue to do so. Are they entitled to do this.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have they said why they have stopped the contributions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has only come to light thro another employee asking why it stopped.
You should first of all try to find out why the employer has stopped making these contributions. It could just be an admin error after all. If it appears that your contributions have been stopped due to your age, then legally it is generally unlawful to discriminate against pension scheme members on the basis of age. There is an exemption in the Equality Act allowing employers to cease providing "insurance or a related financial service" to employees over 65. However, that would not apply to pension contributions, so the employer cannot use your age to stop these contributions. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have to challenge this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you. The first step would be to pursue this internally via the formal grievance procedure. This is a formal complaint which the employer must formally investigate and deal with. You can appeal any outcome you are unhappy with. If after the grievance the matter is still not resolved you could consider treating this as a breach of contract because they are not fulfilling their contractual duties. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps: 1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due. 2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action. 3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this. Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.