How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am the landlord of a flat in London E14. The tenant has reported

This answer was rated:

I am the landlord of a flat in London E14. The tenant has reported to me that the baliffs attended yesterday whilst he was at work to repossess the property. Unfortunately they broke into the wrong property drilling out two locks and damaging the door. They simply left a note saying 'sorry' and replaced one of the locks. I am informed that the door needs replacing, it cannot be repaired. What should I do ? The tenant obviously wants the door replaced immediately for their own safety/security, do I need to get someone to agree to paying for this before carrying out the work. Ideally the door would be replaced today.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Do you know the cost of repairing or replacing it? Are you sure it needs replacing as they normally use a locksmith to change the locks without damage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have an estimate yet but am assuming £800 - £1000. Yes a locksmith was present, he drilled out the 'yale' type lock without damage to the door but had to drill out a square of holes 50cm x 50cm in the door to remove the lower mortice lock resulting in a sizeable hole in the door.
Assuming it cant be repaired then you need to get it done as a matter of urgency and seek the cost back from the bailiff firm.You need to write and set out your losses and request they do the work within 24 hours or you will get it done and go to Court to reclaim the costs. Do this by telephone and email. Make sure you get a delivery receiptIf they do not hen you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you