How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Iam in a relationship that is just ending,we are not married

This answer was rated:

Hi iam in a relationship that is just ending,we are not married & have 2 children. Everything is in my name i have paid for everything, i also own my own buisness,just wanted to know what the law is on such a matter, ref my house etc
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow old are the children and who will they live with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
8 & 12, they will live with there mother
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry can we proceed on line please
How much is the family home worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
about £495.00 with a mortgage of about £310.000
How much does a cheaper three bedroom (two if the children are the same sex) in the same school area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bad news from your pint of view is that under Schedule 1 of the Children Act you are under a duty to help house the children until they are 18.This could mean your ex staying in the current property at your expense - or the house being sold and you purchasing a cheaper property for her to live in until she cohabits or your youngest turns 18.At that point the property would revert to you and your ex would have to move out.You are also responsible for paying child maintenance - 16% if your gross income at most - less if you have the children more than 52 nights a yearYou may wish to consider negotiating with your ex using Family Mediation to agree an alternative - with you paying a modest lump sum for her to leaveI hope that this id of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have offered to rent a property for her, but she has asked for £80,000 & child maintenance
Child maintenance is a given anyway £80,000 is a great deal more than a "modest lump sum"After all you could see the current house and have sufficient to buy a mortgage free property for her to live in that would be returned to you in 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this schedule 1 thing gets brought up, could I move the family into another house I owned & was once our family home? What I am asking us would I have a choice because I will want to sell the current home as the mortgage is so high?
Absolutely - it does not have to be THAT house -provided it is in the same (or a better) school area
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Clare, i am now going to take local advice going forward with a solicitor. I will rate you before i leave.
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well