How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

How does one get hold of the polices' application search

This answer was rated:

How does one get hold of the polices' application for a search warrant(issued under paragraph 12 of Schedule 1 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act) in order to assess whether the warrant can be challenged?
Hello what actually happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I search of personal premises has been conducted by the police under a warrant to enter and search premises.I understand it is a requirement that the police would have had to make an application to a magistrate and satisfy him/her that there are reasonable grounds for believing that an indictable offence has been committed, and want to know if there is anyone to get sight of the application to examine what was said.
You can always make freedom of information applications but they will refuse. Even if you get access to it they will block out anything that is useful. The only way to challenge a warrant that I have ever found is to judicially review the decision to grant it. That is expensive but it does have the effect of putting them in a position where they have to disclose at least the basis for it. The Magistrates is not a court of record so there won’t be a transcript but it is possible to get the notes of the clerk which should reveal the essence of the matter. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would I have to bring a judicial review to get the notes of clerk too?
You could ask for them. Nobody can stop you doing that. But unless you are bringing an action they are unlikely to be provided.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you