How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am splitting up from my partner after 3 yrs. last

This answer was rated:

I am splitting up from my partner after 3 yrs. For the last 2 years he has been living in a house that i solely own with no mortgage. I pay all the bills, he shops and buys the food. I work full time, he is a mature BA student (1st yr) and gets a maintenance grant and student loan. He doesn't have a job. He does not pay me any rent although he has his own room/ study. The first year we lived together he did some maintenance work on the house: repaired garden steps, laid some patio slabs and painted the back wall of the house. We have also done some internal painting together. He is now saying that he is entitled to half of the increase in value of the property since i bought it in January 2014.( i paid for all materials and have also overseen other projects i.e. new boiler, boarding in the attic, garden fencing etc/ painting windows etc at front of house which would have also increased it's value). He seems to think that is fair but as I'm not selling the house he has asked for a "few grand" for the work he did (which he volunteered to do) to help him get a flat together. Given that he's never financially contributed anything in over 2 years, is he legally entitled to anything? He is very controlling and manipulative. I have said I will not give him anything. Any guidance much appreciated.
Hi, thank you for your question. In order to provide you a full answer please confirm:-are you married to him?-has there been any formal agreement or deed of trust in place regarding contributions?-has there been any discussions regarding contributions or his entitlement to anything in the past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We were engaged but not married
There are no formal agreement or deed of trust
No discussions regarding contributions, but I guess it was implied that this would be our home when we got married, but never really spoken about. He always refers to the property as my house.
Also, any children together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No children. He is 52 I am 51
Thanks for the further information. In the circumstances he is not entitled to anything. The home is in your sole name, you are not married and there are no formal agreements in place that would entitle him to a share of the proceeds of sale, or for the maintenance work he has carried out. Cohabitation alone does not raise an interest in the property.He can attempt to pursue this to court to be compensated for the "work" he has put in, but he will need to demonstrate that there was an intention that he would receive something. Your counter-argument would be that he has (from what I can see in your information) lived at the property rent-free for the duration of his stay and you can counter-claim on that point.Furthermore, as you are separating, you will need to only provide him reasonable notice to leave the property and I would suggest that you do this in writing and set a date that he has to leave by.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you