How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My daughter's house which is empty, pending sale

This answer was rated:

My daughter's house which is empty, pending sale appears to have had its locks changed by person(s) unknown.
We are the key holders and agents as our daughter now lives in the US.
Can we just engage a locksmith, gain entry and change the locks?
What do we do if someone is in there?
We know neighbours well (they are local key holders) and they alerted us today when they could not gain entry for people who were collecting furniture they have paid for. The keys, which they have been using, will not even now go into the key holes.
Kind regards,
Nigel ******
Hi, thank you for your question. Was it previously tenanted? How were the locks changed?As long as the property is not tenanted and your daughter has given you authority to deal with the property there is nothing stopping you from changing the locks.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you