How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My son was loaned a car by a friend, who advised him that he

This answer was rated:

My son was loaned a car by a friend, who advised him that he had 'any driver' vehicle insurance. At the time, both parties genuinely believed this to be the case. While driving the vehicle, my son was stopped by the police who believed the vehicle to be untaxed. On further investigation, the police verified the vehicle was in fact taxed but then proceeded to check insurance details. While the vehicle was insured for the owner, the police advised my son that he was not in fact covered by the policy. My son was instructed that he was to receive a £300 fine, 6 points on his otherwise clean licence and the vehicle was to be impounded. The offence was noted as 'IN10 pending'.
At this point, the police officer asked my son to sign a 'Traffic Offence Report' (TOR) which he duly did. The officer however did not complete any details on the form, claiming that he would do this later. The officer than passed my son a blank copy (apart from my son's signature) of the 'recipient's copy' of the form.
This seems highly irregular to me, as effectively my son could have signed for any offence the officer chooses to later input on the original copy of the offence report.
Mt question is - Do we have grounds for appeal and if so, how should we go about this?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Just to be clear it shows blank with no details whatsoever on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes - Yellow recipients copy has no other details apart from my son's signature.
Potentially then this can be disputed. You would expect in order to admit any offence those details would need to appear on the document. After all an offer could put anything on it after the event and your son could do nothing about that.So you could challenge on this basis. Even if you couldnt, he could refuse to accept the penalty and it would go to Court.He would have a potential for arguing guilty, but with special reasons. That is special reasons not to endorse his licence. He was told he was covered as 'any driver', that as we known turned out to be wrong. Therefore if his friend was willing to attend Court there would be an argument there and the Court, if they accept the special reasons might not give any points.But from what you have said, the blank form does not appear to be completed and this could be a reason to challenge.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the normal process for appealing? Do we take action now or do we await further communication from the police?
Await further communication, unless on the reverse of the form there is an appeals procedure set out.Just strange its blank - very oddDoes that help?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alex. Apologies, just noticed that I never closed this off. Thanks for your thoughts on this.