How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

At the end of Feb I separated from my partner. Last August I paid holiday

This answer was rated:

At the end of Feb I separated from my partner. Last August I paid for a holiday for this may at a cost of £2039.00. It was booked in my partners name. When we separated we agreed to still go as friends then she changed her mind and said she would change the holiday over to me so I could go with a friend. She has now said she wants to go with a friend and refuses to refund me the cost. We have been emailing and even met to discuss this. She also owes me £300 my half of the bond for our rented home. She has now reported me to the police for harassment and I have now been advised not to contact her which means I am unable to try to get my money. Before I contact a local solicitor and incur costs I need to know what my chances are of getting the money owed to me.
Adam Stott
Hi, thank you for your question. If all you are seeking is a refund of the money, this will be considered a money claim and you can pursue this yourself online: It appears that you had a clear agreement regarding this matter and she would likely be held liable to repay you the funds.In the application you should briefly set out the circumstances and why you are owed the money, and the court will serve her with the application and she will have an opportunity to defend it. There will be a strict timeframe for her to respond and if she does not respond you can apply for a default judgment whereby there is no hearing and the court will grant the application. If it is defended, both of you will need to submit a formal statement about the application and there will be a hearing listed for a judge to consider both your positions.A solicitor can prepare and send a letter before claim on your behalf threatening the court application and giving her a deadline to settle, after which if there is no settlement you should pursue the above. You should also include that you will pursue her for your legal and court fees which you are able to claim on top of the above.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you