How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a property which was rented last to a couple who only

This answer was rated:

I have a property which was rented last to a couple who only stayed 2 moths and left on or about 15th August 2015 owing me one moth's rent for which I used their deposit
The flat has been empty since then and work has been carried out on it.
At the beginning of March I went to the flat to find that the gas and electricity meters had been removed by Ovo energy with a right of entry warrant.
On contacting them they say that I must pay the arrears, the reconnection charge and the court fees amounting to about £800. I have no contract with this company and don't see how I can be held liable
Can you help?
Madeleine *********
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is it you would like to know about this today please? Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, but I can't see your reply
I have just asked what you would like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can I see my reply?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Are they in the right being able to charge me although I have never had an agreement with them
Madeleine - you are NOT liable. You can NOT be. You are merely the Landlord. You can ONLY be liable if you had a contract for the goods and services, you did not.You can ONLY be liable for any energy used AFTER the date they left. You are NOT responsible for the tenants usage or debt. They should NOT be charging you to install a new meter.You should write and ask them to install and write off the debt. If they refuse you can seek a Court order. You would need to use form N1: N16a: Court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether to make an Order.If the Court and they disobey it then they can be in contempt of Court which means they can be warned, fined or sent to prisonCan I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex