How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am applying through UCAS nursing course. I was convicted

This answer was rated:

I am applying through UCAS for a nursing course. I was convicted of being drunk in charge of a vehicle in December 2015 and received 6 months driving ban and a fine of 250. Do I need to disclose this information on my application form?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What does the question ask, if anything about convictions etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is says to tick the criminal conviction box if you have any conviction which is relevant and unspent
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think being in charge of a vehicle whilst drunk is relevant to nursing?
Thanks. Your conviction is not spent until after 12 months. If they dont provide any guidance as to what is 'relevant' then you can tick no. I would say its only relevant if for example its an assault or sexual offence etc.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so in the 'personal details' section it said to only tick the box if 'relevant and unspent'However, in the 'choices' section of the form it just had a box saying to declare if you have a criminal conviction and the following advice was listed:
Certain professions or occupations such as (but not limited to) teaching, medicine, dentistry, law, accountancy, actuarial, insolvency, healthcare, social work, veterinary medicine, veterinary science, pharmacy, osteopathy, chiropractic, optometry and professions or occupations involving work with children or vulnerable adults, including the elderly or sick people, are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974).Different rules apply to such professions or occupations with regard to disclosure of information about criminal convictions. You may be required to disclose information regarding any convictions even if they are spent.Some courses in respect of such professions or occupations involve an integral work placement and you may not be able to undertake such placement and complete your studies if you have criminal convictions.Further, while you may be permitted to study for one of the above professions or occupations, you may not be able to register and practice upon completion of your course.You should be aware that in respect of these courses:1.The university or college may ask you to provide further information regarding any convictions (including spent convictions), and/or may ask you to agree to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. If they do so, you must comply with their request.
2.Where required, the university or college will send you instructions regarding how to provide the information they require. They may send you documents to fill in. Where such documents come from will depend on the location of the college or university that you are applying to. Please see the table below for further information.
3.Depending on the type of check, different levels of information will be revealed. The information revealed may include unspent convictions and spent convictions (including cautions, reprimands and final warnings or similar). Information about minor offences, penalty notices for disorder (PNDs), anti-social behaviour orders (ASBOs) or violent offender orders (VOOs) and other locally held police information may be revealed where it is appropriate to the course for a particular occupation or profession. The information will be disclosed irrespective of when it occurred.
4.This means that if you have a criminal conviction (spent or unspent) or, in certain circumstances, any minor offence, this information may be made known to the university or college (but not UCAS) as part of the check.
5.If the check reveals that you have had a conviction, (including any caution, reprimand, final warning, bind over order or similar) or any other relevant information including (in certain circumstances) any minor offence, PND, ASBO or VOO, the university or college will need to assess your fitness to practise in the profession or occupation to which your course relates. Applicants to medicine, for instance, should be aware that the General Medical Council will not permit students deemed unfit to practice to be entered on the medical register and so they will not be able to practice as doctors. Similar restrictions may be imposed by other professional bodies including (but not limited to) those connected with law, teaching, accountancy, social work, healthcare, veterinary services, pharmacy, financial and insurance services and the armed forces.
6.You may also be subject to further checks (before and/or after you complete your course) by prospective employers who will make their own assessments regarding your fitness to practise in the relevant profession or undertake the relevant occupation.
7.If these issues are in any way relevant to you, you should obtain further advice from appropriate bodies. UCAS will not be able to assist you in this respect.
8.In England and Wales you may also be required to complete documentation and maintain a registration with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). The DBS scheme is designed to allow universities and colleges to identify any individual that is barred from working with children and vulnerable adults, including elderly or sick people.
How will the university or college handle my application if I declare a criminal conviction?If you tick the box you will not be automatically excluded from the application process.Do you think that I need to tick the box in the 'choices' section of the application form? :S
Assuming this is your only conviction it wont show up on a DBS even after its spent because it will be filtered. But again, it does not say what is relevant and as such you can tick no.Drunk is charge will be filtered off when spent if its your only offence.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, great thankyou!
So after 1 year it will be filtered off my DBS? Even an enhanced disclosure?
Yes, assuming its your only offence.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, its just I read something on the internet that it would show up for 11 years if over 18! But you don't think so?
No, first offence on filtered list.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that's great thankyou so much for your advice :D
Happy to help. Please do remember to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesnt credit me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance. Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I rated you as excellent :) thankyou
It doesnt show, could you do it again please? Alex
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you