How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I live in a council house but having to go into a nursing home

Customer Question

i live in a council house but having to go into a nursing home for ever, i would like my grandaughter to take over the tenacy of the house,she does not live in the house. she lives in another rented house at the moment with her husband and son.i have lived in the same house for over sixty years. i am writing on his behalf because he cant.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. It appears you have a secure tenancy from your information - please confirm if this is correct. Transferring your tenancy to someone else is called assignment. As your tenancy appears to have been granted to you before 1 April 2012 you are able to assign a council tenancy so long as you have not previously succeeded (inherited it from someone else) or have been assigned it by someone - as tenancies granted before this date can only be transferred once.It is usual that assignment of a secure tenancy can only be made to someone who has lived with you for one year or more.I would suggest that you check if there is anything in your tenancy detailing this, and if not, then you will need to contact your housing officer to enquire about your local authority's position on assignment.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.