How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

The house next door to us is derelict. It is not registered

This answer was rated:

The house next door to us is derelict. It is not registered at Land registry and the Council have confirmed to me they have no known owner and are not receiving any council tax for it. The property has been empty following the death of the owner 12 years ago. Up until 3 years ago the nephew of the previous owner used to come and maintain the gardens and we assumed he owned the house. He stopped maintaining the property about 3 years ago and the telephone number we had for him does not get answered. The vegetation in the garden is now so overgrown it has broken and pushed our fences over. There is a covenant stating we have to maintain a 6ft fence. We now need to cut down the vegetation at ground level on the neighbouring side of the border to be able to replace our fence and prevent further damage. We can access the property because the fence panels are now down. Are we able to do this without repercussions?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Yes you can. You have a right under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992. You can do this without a problem/Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you