How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Is it possible to ask a solicitor under the

This answer was rated:

Is it possible to ask a solicitor for information under the freedom of information act?
1. Dear *****, the freedom of information Act is applicable only to public bodies or representative bodies having a public function. The Freedom of Information Act is not applicable to private individuals, such as a solicitor. This is because the public have no right to private information. Additionally, here, where there is an issue surrounding litigation, the relevant information would be protected by client confidentiality, so that the solicitor would not in law, be allowed to divulge that information. Instead, if you want information as to someone did not go to court as agreed through their solicitor, you need to find out from one of the individuals concerned. This is not public information and the public have no right to this type of information. Instead, this is private information, protected by client confidentiality, so unless the person concerned is amenable to disclosing it to you, there is no way you can get this disclosed. I know this is not the answer your want, but this is the way the law stands on this issue.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thought that, just checking if there was a way