How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50517
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have recently been made redundant, as of the 14th

This answer was rated:

I have recently been made redundant, as of the 14th March.
It was 4 weeks notice which takes me to the 11th April.
I dropped all company equipment back off yesterday lunch time and was assured I would be paid straight away. 24 hours on and nothing has been received in my bank account.
It is a dubious Company - should I be worried at this point?
I did text my boss on the 29th that I would drop the lap top and mobile off, and say could I be paid within the next 7 days as this is what Citizens advice told me to do.
Can you give me any advice?
Hello are you working your notice period?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it was with immediate effect on the 14th and payment in leau of notice
When is your normal pay date?
When is your normal pay day?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Around 26th Month - it varies. I know the rest of the staff got paid just before the Easter holidays and I still haven't been paid.
Generally if you have your employment terminated In lieu of notice your pay would be due immediately and the employer will have to make arrangements to process that asap. However sometimes they may have limitations with payroll and that may not be possible until the next official pay run. You have not missed the last pay run so you should have been pad by the 26th at the latest. If you have not been paid yet there is no need to panic just yet but you can start making enquiries. Give it to the middle of next week and if nothing has come through you can consider taking this further.This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of steps you can take to pursue this if you are not paid, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok noted. Thank you very much.
Thank you. In order to try and resolve this, the employer should be contacted in writing, advised that this is being treated as unlawful deduction of wages and ask them to pay back the money within 7 days. Advise them that if they fail to pay the money that is owed, legal proceedings could follow.If the employer does not return the money as requested, the following options are available:
1. Employment Tribunal - the time limit to claim is only 3 months from the date the deductions were made. To make the claim, form ET1 needs to be completed and submitted - you can find it here:
2. County Court – this is an alternative way to claim and the advantage is that the time limit is a much longer 6 years and is usually used if you are out of time to claim in the Tribunal. The claim can be made online by going to: by warning the employer you are aware of your rights and are not going to hesitate taking further action they will be prompted to reconsider their position and work towards resolving this.