How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My wife and i are getting a divorce so ive moved back to my

This answer was rated:

My wife and i are getting a divorce so ive moved back to my parents house. now she wants me to pay half the rent her property. however her mother has been living there as well for the last 9 months and hasnt paid any rent or contributed at all. - our landlady or letting agant doesnt know she's there...
She is also saying if i dont pay at least half the rent, she'll take the kids to Romania. can she do that without my permission, even if she cannot financially support herself here? (i have 2 jobs and have been paying for everything for the past 4 years)
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and I will assist you. Short answer - No. The mother cannot move to Romania with your children without you permission. If you are named on the children's birth certificates or married to the mother when your children were born - then you hold parental responsibility for your children and if the mother was to move abroad without your permission then her actions should be reported to the police and they may well charge her with child abduction. If found guilty she could be sentenced for up to 5 years imprisonment. If you are concerned that the mothers does plan to leave with the children without your permission - then you should make an urgent application to your local family court for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent the mother from removing the children. The mother can ask the courts permission to leave the Jurisdiction with the children - and the court can make its decision as to whether or not this is in the childrens best interests. The court will consider the childrens lifestyles, the proposed change and the effect of the separation from you when making its decision. The mother cannot leave with the children unless the court grants her permission, if you do not consent. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you. Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank youthe main concern was the rental issue! Do i have to pay her half? should i tell the land lady that there's been a third person living in the house?
who is the 3rd person living in the house?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
her mother.
Hello If the landlord was informed then they may consider that this is a breach of the tenancy. They may be reasonable enough and add the mother. It their call. You may want to inform them that you have moved out anyway so that you do not become liable for any future arrears. During the divorce process - if your ex is saying that she cannot afford the rent without a contribution from you - then she could ask for spousal maintenance. This will depend on what both your incomes (assets will also be considered) are and meeting needs for the family. Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you