How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and I own our house jointly. On the title deeds

This answer was rated:

My husband and I own our house jointly.
On the title deeds it says :-
Proprietor: Frank Webster Hughes and Sheila Hughes of ......followed by our address in Wales.
If one of us has to go into a Care Home in the future, can the authorities make us sell our home to cover any fees?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.In fact if only one of you goes into a Care Home there is no problem as the Local Authority cannot force the sale whilst the other spouse is still living in the property.Indeed if that is the case then the house is disregarded altogetherHowever if one of you dies and the other is in a Care home THEN ALL of the equity could be used to pay the fees.However if you take the step of "severing the joint tenancy" then you will each own your share of the property and it can be protected in your Will This is the wording issue that you have been told about.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you