How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I' m married with two children since 16 years now. I always

This answer was rated:

I' m married with two children since 16 years now. I always had upside-down relationship with my husband. We have a property that our both name but I usually get paid from government due to law income I staid home and look after children now circumstances change because of my husband's behaviour I made a decision that educate my self and do job in future but he making my life tough day by day whatever money comes in my account since the children born it always goes for paying bill or expenses and he pay sometimes for food it depends on his behaviour . I really need advice because I always ignore and give some times to get normal but he made me realising that I am nothing for him and I have a no clue what is he up to it
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required in order to assist you fully:-are you in England or Wales?-are you separated or pursuing a divorce?-how old are the children?-what is your income and his income?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in UK( Leicester) I don't work and he is a taxi driver. We are living together my elder son is 13 and another one 12 years old. Well I don't have a clue what he is up to it but he does things differently than shows something else with family. But I can feel and sense that he stop everything with me quite often and again and again. He was abusing and violent in past and very difficult to try to talk or ask what's going on because he starts saying mentally.... So I stopped talking and live it but tired want to know financial, and things were m I standing. He don't do anything for us for example sleep eat and shows that I am not for him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property we have right now is on both name and is always like he paid the mortgage but never pay any other expenses. I couldn't go work because I had to look after children now I want to go for work because I don't seem any changes in my relationship. whatever money comes from my account I have to manage paying bill and all other expenses and run the house the mortgage in this property is very less due to I put my savings and children saving for deposit last year when we bought our house to think everything will be fine. Now he pay mortgage only wich not even paying one bill and we live on basic and he don't pay any thing else
Thanks for confirming. It would be reasonable for him to expect you to share the costs of the household outgoings, however if you are only on benefits and cannot fully fund a share of the outgoings then you have to inform him and attempt to negotiate a sensible proposal for your contribution. Have you checked whether you are fully claiming for benefits that you are entitled to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already paid £ 38 today? I don't get it for more payment even website says that free for 7 days?
No, you do not have to pay anything further for me to continue assisting you. Have you checked if you are fully claiming all the benefits you are entitled to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd rather prefer to know about that what m I entitled to staying in with this relationship that doesn't giving me anything . He told me many times that leave the house, or I will stop you getting children benefits things like that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to know about my children and my rights so I know where m I standing
Thank you - whilst in the marriage it is difficult for you to exercise issues such as him funding all the house outgoings as it would be reasonable to expect you both to share this if you both have an income.However, if you were to separate and pursue a divorce and the children remain in your care as the primary carer, you will be entitled to make a claim for child maintenance, spousal maintenance and an order to transfer the home or tenancy to your name.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, what could be process for negotiation to share the cost of living as I said he stop taking responsibility.
You will need to discuss this with him face to face and outline both your incomes and what the household outgoings are. If you cannot agree anything between you I would suggest you refer the matter to an independent family mediator who can assist you to reach an agreement - you can find local mediators here:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK many thanks in the future if I need to take step I will do that because he says and does things differently and keep change his mind. If you can provide any further legal advice than very grateful to you
Thank you - if things change in the future and you require further assistance please contact again - you can ask for me directly by starting your message For Harris