How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I had moved out of my ex-girlfriends house, but still had some

This answer was rated:

I had moved out of my ex-girlfriends house, but still had some valuable musical and electronic equipment stored there. I have been trying for some while to make arrangements to remove it, but she always claimed to be too busy and then stopped replying to my messages completely. Yesterday I discovered that she had completely destroyed my equipment and thrown it out. She videoed this to show others. She also looked through all of my personal papers and shared them with others. Furthermore, she then started contacting random contacts from my personal papers, in order to make false allegations about me. Is there anything I can do about this?
What type of false allegations?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Basically, that I am serial cheater, with apparently up to 15 children. None of which is remotely true.
To whom has she said this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At the moment, I have been contacted by a long standing friend of over 30 years, who lives over 300 miles away. It seems that she found her name in my personal papers and then tracked her down using Facebook.
Ok. What is it that you want to achieve? Or you trying to stop her or trying to recover compensation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As it was my personal property which was destroyed, I am seeking some sort of financial compensation from her to enable its replacement.
You can certainly do that. If she has destroyed your property then you have a claim for the actual value of the property. If it is under £10k then that is a small claims court sum which is cheap and easy to recover. I would send her a letter before action before actually suing her though asking for compensatio.She may try arguing that she gave you a reasonable period of time to collect but if she did not then you need to make that point and be in a position to prove it if necessary.There shouldn't be any problem with recovering the value of your property.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you