How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3845
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I am employed by a Limited Company of which my wife is also

This answer was rated:

I am employed by a Limited Company of which my wife is also an employee and Director. At the moment I receive a salary that allows me to keep my state pension live, as does my wife. In addition, dividends are split 10% to me and 90% to my wife.
Our turnover is around £70,000 / annum, of which my wife generates around 75%. We have been advised by the accountant to rearrange the dividends on a 50 / 50 basis. However, we need a commercial justification to satisfy HMRC that we are not avoiding tax.
My contribution to the company is that I keep everything running including admin tasks, ensuring tax, VAT and PAYE bills are paid, completing the monthly paperwork and managing payroll, buying equipment and maintaining our computer network including software purchasing and hardware setup and purchase. In addition, I work as a freelance trainer and teacher. It's my wife's contention that I facilitate her ability to undertake contracts as I effectively run the business.
Would this be a valid commercial argument?
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How are the shares in the company split? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At the moment they are split 10% to me and 90% to my wife. This original split was made in 2013 when I first joined the company. My wife thought it would be prudent for me to have a share in the profits that are an outright gift with full access to funds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's been recommended by the company accountant to make the split 50/50 and we are concerned to make a valid commercial argument as detailed in the original question.
Thank you. If you transferred 40% of the shares into your name then you would be entitled to 50% of the dividends and there would be no need for a commercial justification. The only problem is you would notionally have to pay for the shares or at least register their value on a stock transfer form - this would lead to a Stamp Duty charge at 0.5% of the value. Has your accountant suggested what your wife could notionally charge you for 40% of the shares? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. There has been no suggestion of a charge at present as we have not got beyond the planning stage yet. The accountant has recommended we get legal advice - particularly with reference to a commercial justification- before proceeding.
Hi, Thank you. If your partner sells the shares to you, you would not need any other justification as you would own the shares and therefore the right to the future dividend stream. If your wife sells you the shares and they cost more than £1000 you will pay a 0.5% stamp duty charge. You could notionally register it as a transfer of shares, but just owe your wife the money as a debt. As a starting point as the accountant what the lowest price he would be prepared to justify on a stock transfer form?
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's great. Thanks.
If I can assist any further please do not hesitate contact me. Kind regards AJ