How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1442
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have just found out my husband of 6 years, (we have been

This answer was rated:

I have just found out my husband of 6 years, (we have been together for 14 years) and father of our 5 young children has been unfaithful to me. He owns our house, my name isn't on the deeds. He is the main provider, and pays all the bills. I've just found out that even my car is registered in his name. I havnt got anything and I just want to know the law on whether I need to leave the home?
HelloWelcome to Just AnswerI am a Solicitor and can assist you.I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are having with your husband.If you are legally married - then no - you do not need to leave the matrimonial home.You have a right to occupy by virtue of being married.You should complete this form and send it to the land registry so that your right of occupation can be protected. This will also prevent your husband from selling or remortgaging this home. note that either of you decide to divorce - then it does not matter if the matrimonial assets are in your husbands name - you can still make a matrimonial claim. With a marriage over 5 years then the starting point is normally 50/50 division of assets. If your husband earns more than you than you should seek a larger share.Do not be bullied into thinking you have to leave or that you have no claim.Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.Kind regardsCarolinePlease kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u, at the minute he is saying that I can have anything and everything, but I doubt this will last. I just needed advice on my rights, I am the soul cater for our children as he works away from home, I work par time and any income I get pays off my childminder and credit cards etc, he pays all the household bills. I will not have enough to live in if he stops doing this. I feel trapped.
HelloI am sorry to hear this.You need to stay strong for the little ones.In realistic terms in your circumstances - should you divorce then you need to be seeking between 60-70% of the matrimonial assets so that the needs of your children can be met.If you husband stopped paying the bills - then you can ask the court for an urgent order for interim maintenance so that you can manage whilst the finances are shorted.You might also be entitled to benefits - so have a chat with a benefits adviser.Also he would have to pay Child Maintenace and the Child Maintenance Service would help you with this.Let me know if I can help you further.Kind RegardsCaroline