How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been served a section 21 from my landlord and I want

Customer Question

I have been served a section 21 from my landlord and I want to move out too. They have provided two months but I want to leave sooner. I had a six month agreement which lapsed into a periodic tenancy abour 2.5 years ago, this states I need to provide one month's notice.
I sent an email trying to agree a date to end my tenancy before the 2 months (I provided more than 30 days notice as stated in my lease) but they have said I am liable for the rent until the end of the 2 month period as issued on section 21.
My understanding was that the section 1 was to protect the tenant from being homeless and not protect the rent income for landlords - please can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your notice. As you are now on a periodic monthly tenancy, you need to give the landlord one "period" notice to end the tenancy. The landlord cannot insist that his 2 month notice supersede's your notice to quit.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi thereSo she wrote this in an email and she is a lawyer so I thought I best check:"You are obliged to pay rent for the full period of two months in accordance with the notice that you have been served with although you can choose to vacate the flat earlier if you wish to do so."Does the period have to end on a rent day? ie if I normally pay on 24th of month?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The wording of the agreement is:if at the end of this time, you want to continue the tenancy and you have not already received from us two month's notice to end the tenancy, it will carry on month to month as a monthly contractual tenancy. You must give one month's notice to end it. This notice must end on a rent payment day.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
The period of notice must end on a rent day
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.