How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I live in a council flat and need to go abroad months

This answer was rated:

I live in a council flat and need to go abroad for 2 months for business (and leisure) and want to rent the flat out on Air BnB. If I inform the council I will be away and continue to make rent payments am I breaking my tenancy conditions? Are there legal ramifications for me?
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.If you look at your tenancy agreement you will see that subletting the property to anyone at all is prohibited and your tenancy will be forfeit.You are however free go away provided you pay the rent!Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it seen as subletting if it's for a temporary period? My agreement also says that I can be away from my home for up to 3 months leaving a an agent should they need to contact anyone
You can indeed go away provided they have someone to contact - but it is subletting even if only for two mponths
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you