How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am looking to receive compensation used car I was sold

Customer Question

I am looking to receive compensation for a used car I was sold at the start of December. I have spoken to the garage, sent a letter of complaint and am still waiting for a resolution to my complaint.
The car was taken back to the garage was taken back to the garage before a month of ownership but it took over a month to diagnose the problem which concluded that it was beyond repair. They have offered me the price of the vehicle. I believe that the work has taken an unreasonable time and has caused me a significant inconvenience. I have seen that if I have suffered a personal injustice, hardship or financial loss due to the action or inaction of a particular organisation and if the repair takes a long time I may be able to claim compensation e.g. hiring a car or trader could offer a loan car. I did not hire a car nor was I offered a loan car.
I have a copy off the complaint letter I sent and all the electronic communications between myself and the company.
I am looking for financial compensation on top of the value of the car for my financial out goings due to there lack of action which is still happening.
Regards *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How much did you pay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. When did you buy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid for the car on Tuesday 01/12/15 and took possession of the car on 08/12/15
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry if I am missing the point but they seem to be offering your money back?What else were you hoping for ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand. I would normally accept there offer but due to the nature of the service I received over such an unreasonable time I am looking to recoup my expenses on top of the cost of the car. They have had the car for 3 months now and there lack of action is causing me more and more financial expenditure. I believe this took an unreasonable amount time due to the lack of action of this company and continued lack of action from this company. I can not claim for poor customer service, the fact I was promised certain things when I bought the car but was only a verbal agreement not written into the agreement. I will attach a letter I posted to them on Monday 22nd February and now my expenditures have gone up by continually having to use unreliable public transport and the purchase of a bicycle because my job needs me to finish after the bus stops running. I have the dates and time of all other electronic communications and it shows there lack of urgency. My last correspondence was 24/03/15 asking for a self addresses envelope to send back the documents because I refuse to pay out any more money for a car that was not fit for purpose.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.I'm really sorry but I'm afraid these are not heads of compensation under the Consumer Protection Act. You can ask them for a token which actually they may accept to avoid the poor publicity.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
But if you sued I'm afraid that you could only recover the sum you paid for the car. Poor service is not a head of compensation.Neither are inconvenience and disappointment and some of the other things you mention are really just the inconveniences caused by having to sort out a sale of goods act dispute.I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't need anything clarifying. But thanks for your help with this matter.Regards *****
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.All the best.