How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am a father of a 9 year old. He behaved very badly

This answer was rated:

I am a father of a 9 year old. He behaved very badly towards his class teacher. I chastised him, not forcefully, but I hit him on the backside over two layers of clothing, with a small wooden, cooking spatula.
I also then threatened to take his video games away indefinitely. The following morning, he told a member of staff at the school, and it soon progressed to me, attending a police station voluntarily. I confirmed what had happened voluntarily to the police, as anything else, would be me, branding my child a liar.
I have now been informed by the police that I will receive a caution.
I work for the Civil Service, and every few years, I am required to complete my security clearance, to be able to function at my job, and all criminal convictions are to be declared.
Is a caution the same as a criminal conviction, and is it recorded on the Police National Computer (PNC)? If I do not accept the caution, Can the CPS run such a case? Thanks.
Have you admitted the offence to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There isn't really a way around that then.A caution is not a criminal record but it is a caution. It amounts to an admission to an offence. You will never again be able to say you are of good character.I would never have advised you to either admit the offence or accept it to the police on this basis but it is too late now.You probably will be charged if you don't take the caution.He is not likely to give evidence but the problem is that you have admitted the offence.The question will then be whether or not the use of the spoon is reasonable. It depends really whether it left a mark and what you did with the spoon specifically.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He was examined by a doctor, who confirmed there were no marks. But I understand what you have said. If I had denied smacking him, I would be calling my child a liar. But, thanks for your advice.
Yes, and you couldn't have denied it on these facts. But you could have made a no comment interview.If he had no marks at all then you could always argue lawful chastisement at court. You are allowed to use force to discipline a child as long as you leave no marks.Your problem may be the use of the spoon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problem and all the best. Please remember to rate my answer. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you