How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

There i am having a serious issue with a major UK bookmaker,

This answer was rated:

Hi there i am having a serious issue with a major UK bookmaker, they are withholding my winnings, for almost a year, they have not contacted me to explain why and when this will be rectified
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Do their terms and allow them to withhold your winnings in certain circumstances
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes they do.
Do any of these conditions apply to your situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Ben,They have been loose with their explanation as to why exactly and under what conditions my dispute can be associated with their terms. But to put it bluntly yes.
Last year, i placed a bet in person, in my local shop via a machine/terminal, my stakes were accepted, i won. shortly after i logged onto my online account. i was payed out - i contacted the bookmaker and tried to withdraw some of my balance into my bank as i normally do. as far as i was aware at this point i was told the withdrawal was successful - please wait 3-5 working days, i try to log back in and my account is frozen. i am kept out of the loop for around 3 months as to why, at this point no decision or reason is given by the bookmaker. on countless phonecalls i was told, someone will contact you shortly. I have never been in this situation before and thus stumbled across IBAS, whom i raised a dispute with for them to step in. They were useful in explaining the process as to how disputes work. but useless in actually helping my case. a few months later i receive an email from the bookmaker, stating that i have NOT been forgotten! and that a lead manager in customer services department is chasing my case with sed department but as i assume this is all rubbish. I'm lost as to what i can do, i have evidence of my bet, i was paid out from my bet but it seems when it comes to actually giving me my money, there doing what they please, what can i do at this point. i have attached a series of emails to show you the communication between myself and IBAS, the gambling commisions' Sports betting integrity unit and Finally a senior Manager for Gala Coral.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can, most likely later this afternoon. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.How much have they refused to pay out please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex, around 13000 pounds
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at:  or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please? Alex
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you