12826847

We are in a fixed term AST which started on 11/11/13

We are in a fixed term AST which started on 11/11/13 and ends 10/11/16. In the tenancy agreement the rent is set at £900 pcm with no break clauses or provisions for an increase. Our Landlord has contacted us saying they want to increase the rent to £950 for the remainder of the term which we have disputed as there is no provision for this in the agreement. Can they legally do this? They have told us they have taken advice and could have backdated the increase to Nov 15 if they had wanted to but were being nice by asking it only from May.
Can you confirm the legal position? It is unlikely we will renew in November anyway.
Many Thanks,
Simon
Hello was the lease auto renewing every year or was it a straight 3 year lease?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a straight 3 year lease with no break clauses or any clauses relating to a periodic rent review.
You mean they are trying to increase the rent in the middle of an AST?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. They say they have taken advice and are able to do so and even backdate it to Nov 15 if they wanted to. I will add a copy of the lease agreement shortly.
Ok. I can have a look at that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you receive the agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Think I may not have attached properly. Here it is now.
OK. That contract is very clear.He is bound to £900 a month for 36 months from November 2013.
He can't just randomly vary the amount mid term. He is locked into an AST.He can increase the amount upon the end of the agreement but then he will still be subject to the fair rent assessment committee.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I was sure that was the case but wanted to be certain.