How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have been living oversees last 7 years. My wife and

This answer was rated:

I have been living oversees for the last 7 years. My wife and I allowed for her parents to live in our house rent free. We wish to move back to our house and try and relocate my in-laws however they are saying that they wont move out. What are our rights and where we do we stand from a legal view point
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Have they said WHY they wont move out? Do they have anything in writing for a tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No there is no written tenancy agreement
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They don't have any where to live and are old
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have offered them help to find somewhere however other family members are claiming they have every right to stay in my property until they die
Ok. You need to send them a letter asking them to move or say you will seek a court order. If they refuse then you need to complete form N5 - - send this to the county court. It will be set down for a hearing and a judge will decide whether to give possession. Bearing in mind they have no agreement and paid no rent, the judge will grant possession. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please? Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alex, I thank you for advice and will not hesitate to contact you further if I require your services
thanks, ***** ***** could ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise I am not credited for my time. Thanks and have a great weekend. Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you