How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

In February 2016, I had been living with my boyfriend

This answer was rated:

In February 2016, I had been living with my boyfriend for 6 months and found tenants to rent my property to. My boyfriend was managing the rental deal. I left him, went to stay with my parents and asked him not to go through with the let. He did. Now two months on, he wants my 10 year old daughter and I out. All the money from renting my house has gone to him thus far to pay for running the property we currently live in. The tenants in my house have a six month contract. He has given me 7 days to get out. Given all my furniture and possessions have been moved into his property as he let mine out unfurnished, this is unreasonable. I assume as we have no legal contract between us, I have no legal standing in this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has now informed me he is changing the locks on Friday. Also he has hit my child twice in a temper. Once with a computer cable and once when she was play fighting with him. Although I accept this may not be relevant to my legal standing in terms of being able to stay in huge property until the 6 month tenancy is up
Have you paid rent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am renting my house out at £693 PCM which is going straight to him even though his five bedroomed property has no mortgage. He also has the tenant's deposit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also pay the gas and electricity bill so this more than covers the running of his house. Thanks
Yes, but have you paid rent to him for your occupation of this house?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apologies. The £693 is and my paying the gas and electricity acts as rent. I get no financial gain from renting my old house out. it's more of a "gentleman's agreement" as I didn't expect him to be so unreasonable. He is making a good £400 profit after paying his other bills so he effectively living for free.
Well, of course, you are occupying as well.I presume this isn't his child?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. He is divorced and has three children. 17 year old lives with her mother. 18 year old at Uni and 20 year old has moved out. My child isn't his.
Well, you have at least made rent payments. That will mean he cannot just evict you without any notice. However, you are basically just a lodger and it is easy to evict you. In the end he can just change the locks but he needs to give you proper written notice of no less than 28 days. He hasn't done that.That said, if he did change the locks it wouldn't be worth an injunction to get back in.You would have a claim against him for any over paid rent.
Arguably you could change the locks again and sue him for the cost but since it would only be a couple of weeks I wouldn't recommend it. It would not be cost effective.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you but what about retrieving all my furniture and possessions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes please. How if he did change the locks, I could retrieve my furniture and possessions
If he refused to let you in to do that then you could seek either compensation for the value at the small claims court or an injunction for the items to be returned.He has no right to withold your property.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fabulous thanks.
No problem.All the best.Please remember to rate my answer.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Excellent. You have bought me 28 days - phew
No problem.