How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was taking a defendant to court to retrieve �1,000 that I

This answer was rated:

I was taking a defendant to court to retrieve �1,000 that I paid him towards a wedding- between my daughter and him- her now ex-partner. He used the monies to pay his rent. I was taking him to court as mediation failed. I did not attend court on the said day as I had the court fee deadline- due to postal error. I was told by letter that the court would strike the date out in this event. He turned up and I didn't, as I truly believed the slot had been re-allocated. The Judge awarded him �119, travel expenses- eventhough he lives 4 miles from the court, and �90.00 loss of earnings- but I have proof that he wasn't working as he was picking up belongings from the home he abandoned when he left my daughter and their 3 young children. He has a no-molestation order against him, granted to my daughter for 12mths- due to his aggressive behaviour. She is a victim of dom violence. I have rung the court to contest the award as I want the claim re-listed and am in the process of filling in a N244 form. He has since sent me a threatening text, eventhough I have forbidden him to no longer use my number. Where do I stand legally???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£1,000 plus £200, interest as I gave him the money 2 years ago. I repeatedly asked him for re-payment and he refused.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. Did you attend the hearing?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. Did you attend the hearing please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, because I missed the payment deadline- I did not receive the letter in time and the date for payment had expired. I was informed that if the payment was not made the court slot would be struck out. I understood that to be the case and so did not go to court, as I genuinely believed there was no court booked. I was moving my daughter from her rented accomodation at the time as she was served a section 21 notice- the home where her aned the children suffered domestic violence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been paying un-paid bills as he left my daughter in a financial crisis. He stopped paying the rent, car payments, car insurance etc, eventhough she had 3yr old twins who needed to get to nursery and a 5yr old who attends a school 3miles away from her home.We had to buy her a car, insure it and we had to buy food etc as she did not work as she looked after the children 24/7.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that if the Judge had been in receipt of all of the facts that he would not have beed awarded anything at all. He has scammed lots of people and two other individuals have taken him to court over monies he owes them , tens of thousands of pounds! He went into an IVA to avoid paying the court awards. He fraudulently used my daughter's bank details to obtain this. He gave her so little money she has been granted legal aid as he is trying to get custody of the children.
Was the case struck out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the case was struck out, and that is why I thought that there was no hearing/court slot.
When was it struck out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a letter dated 4th March, which I didn't receive until 16th- postal error- saying unless the claimant pd the hearing fees the claim would be struck out! This is why I didn't attend court. BUT, it wasn't struck out until 30th March. The hearing date was 23rd March - but I understood tis to have been cancelled re- the wording of the court correspondence.
Ok then you need to make an application as soon as possible using form N244: will be a hearing fee of £255.Then the Judge can decide whether the first order was made incorrectly. Therefore you should apply to set aside and you should have an opportunity of making representations etc.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, will £255, include actually hearing my case for claiming the monies- ie pay for a new hearing. What do you mean by the term 'apply to set aside'. Should I include all that I have told you, including evidence such as the Section 21 and the monies we have spent paying his debts ie outstanding bills. And do I mention that I want £1,000, purely because he took it and used it for another purpose, also that my daughter needs it to help support her children as he is not paying regular maintenance. He gave her £5 for food over the Christmas period- the deposit on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a turkey!!!
The £255 hearing fee is JUST for your application to have it reinstated. You should include evidence as to why the Judge was wrong and include the S.21 etc.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but what does set aside mean?
Set aside the strike out order, that means cancel the Court order striking out your claimDoes that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is fine! Sorry to sound dense,but I need to understand all terminology that may be used. Your advice has been gratefully received by myself. Thank- you. I do want to go ahead with this as I don't want him to get money,that he doesn't deserve.
You just ask the Court to set aside the strike out order - thats it.If this answers your question can I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site doesnt credit me for the time spent with you. Thanks and have a great weekend. Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes,I will,and thanks again. Regards, ***** *****
Thanks Helen. Alex