How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I'm not too sure whether I can get some protection

This answer was rated:

hello, I'm not too sure whether I can get some protection from my next door neighbour. Today she has gone too far.
It started not long after my husband and I moved to a semi detached house in a large village in 2005. She was reasonably tolerant of the noise we made improving the house. We always told her if anything noisy was imminent.
Over time she started banging on the wall every time she thought we were making a noise. We spoke with her on many occasions to try and come an agreement but she became more and more intolerant. If I dropped anything on the floor she would bang, she wrote letters to us demanding that we were completely quiet before 8am even though she actually went to work before that time. She accused me of slamming doors and on and on it went. We did try but it soon became impossible and we no longer speak. A year ago I was bought a clarinet which I'd always wanted to learn. I go to a tutor each week and have to practice every day. I am fully aware that a musical instrument is not everyones 'cup of tea' and therefore will play it in the conservatory and only for 3/4 of an hour a day. Very occasionally I'll play for 2 x 1/2 hrs. I never play after 6pm and never before 9am. I work, so mostly I play about 4.30pm. I try to play when the neighbour is out at work but that can be difficult. From day one she has harassed me with loud banging on the wall, playing of loud music, standing at the fence looking at me like a peeping tom, Banging loudly on a old tin bath alongside the fence aside the conservatory. This goes on all the time. There is no doubt that it has affected me. I'm always waiting for her to start and it effects the way I'm playing. Today she surpassed herself. I started to play at 11.15am. Within minutes she started banging on the party wall. I tried to keep going when suddenly she started crashing violently on something metal with probably a hammer exactly adjacent to the fence only 4 feet from where I was sitting. It was so extreme and loud that I really thought she was trying to break through. It went on for 10 minutes This vicious attack has affected me so much. I can't stop crying and thinking about it.
It can't be right that someone can cause such misery to another. I would add that she refuses to speak to me so my husband went round to see her a couple of months ago to try and discuss the whole problem. She just wouldn't compromise at all saying that she didn't like the sound of a clarinet and that I should go and play in the shed at the bottom of the garden. He hasn't tried since.
Please, what can I do? We're not aggressive people. We don't want to make trouble. We just want a nice life but I feel I should be able to carry on learning without the fear of harassment.
Thank you for reading.
Hello Pat my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Have you ever reported the behaviour to the Police please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Alex, No, I haven't reported it to the police or discussed it with anyone other than my family.
Ok - I would report it to the Police as it could be harassment. The Police can go around and warn the neighbour then if they keep do it could prosecute.But you could also take out a civil case for harassment. You would need to complete form N1: N16a: Court would consider the matter and decide whether to make an Order to stop the harassment. If the Court does and they ignore it this is contempt of Court and they may be warned, fined or sent to prison.But try the Police as they may be able to do something.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Alex, Thank you for your reply. At least I can now feel as if there is something I can do. The Police would be my first port of call.
Good luck! Alex