How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Will a victim and their witness be in trouble with the police(cps)

This answer was rated:

Will a victim and their witness be in trouble with the police(cps) if they don't want to appear or give evidence in an appeal court?
Would this happen to be a domestic by any chance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you done this before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brother made a counter allegation and I was convicted for two years conditional discharge. I want to appeal. Will my brother and his witness be in trouble if they don't come to appeal and give evidence. Will I be free of charge?
It depends.If they have a long history of calling the police to every row in the house then probably the police will summons them and failing to answer a summons is a contempt of court. They are not likely to prosecute that. What they could do is seek a witness warrant for their arrest to put them before the court to give evidence.The chances that anything will happen are fairly low but there is a risk and they will put pressure on them.You only have 28 days from the date of sentence to appeal if this is a Magistrates Court decision.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you