How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Last Tuesday I receive a visit of a PC at my home, who then

This answer was rated:

Last Tuesday I receive a visit of a PC at my home, who then proceeded o read a statement that I was accused of harassing an ex-colleague by sending numerous emails and multiple 'silent' phone calls.
I last sent this individual an email on the 29/1 saying goodbye to her and wishing all the best for the future, as she was not in the office and my contract finished on that date.
As for multiple 'silent' phone calls I do not have her number, so I cannot see how I could that even if I wanted to.
Do I have a case against this individual? This is stain on my character!
Thanks you.
What are you hoping to achieve?Has anybody warned you of the cost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To clear my name. This accusation is ridiculous! I know nothing about the cost since nothing like thar happened before.
Why has she made this up ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea. We were working in the same company and had a good friendship. We used to have lunch together and chat about life in general. Although back in early December, she told me that she did not want to meet me for lunch anymore as she did not like me anymore!. I was very surprised as I did not do anything wrong to her previously. On Monday 14/12 she asked me what I did in the weekend. I told her. I ask her why she was asking me this and she told me that her car had been vandalised over the weekend and she thought that perhaps it was me that did it because I was cross with her... I live in Cheltenham and she in Swindon (an hour's drive between both places). My elderly father lives with me and my family. As I told her even if I wanted to do something like - and it never crossed my mind! I cannot see how I could explain to my family that I would be gone for a few hours to do something like that!
ISince this incident we stopped all communation until my email on the 29/1.
Have you only sent one email?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. The one on the 29/1. I have nor been in contact with her since that date. I am no soft touch, but I find accusation of this sort a a big cause of distress!
Oh yes, something should be done about these accusers. They make allegations all over the place usually consequence free. In principle, a false allegation is many things. In practice, it is harder to challenge. The first problem here is that we don't really know what she alleged. She probably has made some form of allegation amounting to harassment or the police would not have acted. However, it is not safe to litigate on the basis of probabilities. If you are intent then you will need to get an order forcing the police to disclose the specific content of her complaint which they are not likely to do without a court order. Then if it is substantially untrue you would have an action in defamation. That will cost in excess of £10k to litigate and it will be pointless because she will have no money. Another cheaper alternative is to sue in civil harassment but one allegation alone is not enough. A cheaper yet alternative is to send her a solicitors' letter warning her that her allegations are disputed and any repetition will lead to legal action. That will cost around £100 and is often very effective. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. Thanks for the advice. I am prepared to have solicitors' letter sent to her at her home address. However I do not have a solicitor. Is this something that you can do?
We are not allowed to accept instructions directly under the rules of this site but you could use a barrister under public access. Try here or and just explain that you need a letter before action.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the advice. I will do so.
No problem. All the best.