How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Is there a way to repay outstanding council tax by a direct

This answer was rated:

Is there a way to repay outstanding council tax by a direct offer , without the danger of prison or court appearance
Can you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has unfortunately gone on since 2007 when I fled from a business I had as I had been widowed in 2004, and it was failing by then due to my lack of knowledge of the needs of how to run it. I met my current wife later, in 2007 and we moved ion together before marriage in 2010, but I was SO afraid of debtors that I persuaded her to not include me on the tax return and when ever we now try to add me , there is a question as to my prior home, between 04 and 07, and we dont want to get her into trouble if we can pay the outstanding amount up front as we now have that ready in a safe account for just that purpose
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello are you there please, it seems rather quiet
This is domestic council tax not business rates?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, domestic council tax,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, I cannot afford the extra to speak on the phone , and I just want your best advice to me , from the problem outlined,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Can you repay in full?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello , yes we can repay all the amount I havent paid in that time, as my now wife has it saved in a d
separate account , about £2, 000-00p we think , and am sorry to be impatient ,my apologies, am a bit anxious ref this as it is playing on our minds a lot recently, we dont like cheating and didnt ever envisage being down this road,
If this is just that you owe council tax arrears and you can pay in full then doing so should bring an end to the matter. They will not seek to send you to prison or take any other action if you pay in full. Obviously you will be naive or the costs of seeking a liability order but that would not be a huge sum. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello and thank you , yes, please, , what do you mean by naive , and will we even go to court, thats the problem that affects my wife,
That was an error. it should have read liable for the costs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you, ***** ***** would end up in court you think
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or might the payment in full end the matter for us both,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a sick animal here at present and need to run to vet as soon as we are finished , sorry, so I will thank you in advance in case I need to just get going in a hurry,
No, as i said, if you paid in full and for the costs then you would not end up in court.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are a star Jo and thank you so very much, will be giving you the 5 for your attention and courtesy to me and not commenting on the stupidity of the course I took all those years ago , and things are indeed different now as I have become, in my retirement, an evanglical preacher and really want all to be right personally and you have been a great help ,