How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71142
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My partner and i enterd into a gentlemans agreement with a

This answer was rated:

my partner and i enterd into a gentlemans agreement with a friend, he paid a deposit and 1 months rent on a property totaling 1165, we have repaid 700 and offerd to pay the outstanding balance as he is no loger a friend, some6 months later he has decided we should pay monies for being invited guests to his home, due to myself diagnosed with cancer he has claimed 42 days, which my partner was only there 20 days and myself 30 he has taken county court action
What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where do i stand legaly as far as county court action is concerned
Have you paid the outstanding balance?What is he claiming for exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he is claiming 1278 and and we dont know what for he has gone through money claim online we have no breakdown of what he claims
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no mention of the amount we have paid on the court papers
You would obviously have a defence if you do not owe the money. On the face of it, it would seem that you do owe the difference in the actual rent. However it you don't describe liability for anything else. If he does not break down the amount that he is claiming then I would not even think about admitting anything more than the rental difference. The fact that he has actually issued does not mean there is a case to answer. The Small Claims Court is frequented by lay people and so it does attract claims without merit. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo -----the court form has been filled out disclaiming the amount specified and included to pay the excess amount of 465 pounds in full. Should this be suffice.Should the claimant be contacted regarding payment.
Not by you.If you are part admitting a claim then the court will write back to him.I'm just offline for a couple of hours but I will be back later tonight
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you