How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I need advice on behalf of my brother. He recently divorced

This answer was rated:

Hi, I need advice on behalf of my brother. He recently divorced his wife, and throughout the process, she has tried to intimidate and blackmail him. She also brought false claims of child abuse against him (the police have now closed the case due to lack of evidence) and maliciously spread rumors that he is a child abuser throughout the local community, seriously affecting his mental wellbeing and potential future earnings as a self-employed tradesman. We have letters (via her solicitor) threatening to raise this serious criminal activity to the judge if he didn't drop his request for divorce costs to be paid, and numerous SMS messages from her threatening to ruin his life and to take him for everything.
My brothers reputation and mental health is in tatters, and I am interested to know if there is any criminal/legal action we can take against her. I would like her to be charged with blackmail/defamation, slander. Do you think there is a case for this?
Hi, thank you for your question. If they are undergoing divorce and financial proceedings a defamation suit will be vastly more expensive than the current proceedings and likely to cause more tension between them. What I would suggest is for a formal warning letter to be written to her/her solicitors to cease the current harassment and threats as they are unfounded. In the event that she does not stop then he can consider applying for a non-molestation order (injunction) against her.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Hi, I see that you have provided a negative rating. Please confirm what you are not happy about so that I can provide you all the necessary information you require.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You clearly didn't read my message correctly.
The first sentence reads " need advice on behalf of my brother. He recently divorced his wife...",
to which you responded "If they are undergoing divorce and financial proceedings...".
GHe has been awarded his decree nisi, and they are having some difficulties coming to financial settlement. She has brought a false police claim against him, for financial gain and intimidation. Now it's all finished, I want to know what action can be taken against her. There is NO justice in her making these accusations and getting away with it, while my brother is too fearful to walk the streets of his home-town and may never work again as a self-employed tradesman.
Apologies for misreading your message. My initial information will still stand and he can pursue a defamation suit against her, but this will be very expensive. He can consider applying to court for a non-molestation order (which is an injunction) to prevent any further harassment.
Harris and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you