How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My mum wants to give me £40,000 to help me buy a house. Can

This answer was rated:

My mum wants to give me £40,000 to help me buy a house. Can I receive this without any implications or am I liable for tax?
Hi, thank you for your question. Are you in England or Wales?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.


Thank you. If your mother gifts you the £40,000 then this will not be considered income and will not be liable to income tax. However, if your mother were to pass away within 7 years, then the £40,000 will form part of her estate for inheritance tax purposes and, depending on the value of her whole estate, may be liable for inheritance tax. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you