How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I am intending to purchase a house (freehold) which has a covenant

This answer was rated:

I am intending to purchase a house (freehold) which has a covenant stating that the"property must not be the owner's main dwelling". This was not initially disclosed by the vendor or his agent. Can I get round this rather pointless restriction? Thank you.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. With a restrictive covenant like this your options are:(i) Ignore it;(ii) ask for permission to remove it from the party that put it there - normally if they are very old the party will be deceased or defunct;(iii) Purchase indemnity insurance policy for restrictive covenants - if you do this you cannot have done option 2 - further more normally you can ask the vendor to purchase this on your behalf. The policies normally cost a couple of hundred pounds.Is the vendor currently in breach of the covenant?Kind regards AJ
Alex J. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you