How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My neighbour is the biggest manipulator in the world ! I

Customer Question

My neighbour is the biggest manipulator in the world ! I reported excessive occupancy ( her friend, her son and partner moved in 2 years ago) however till things got rolling she managed to purchased small 2 bed flat she officially lived in with her 2 daughters using right to buy scheme. While male occupier moved out last year ( after the report) , her friend and her son are still living with her and her 2 daughters in small 2 bed flat. I am quite sure she is still in receipt of some benefits ( most likely working only 16 hrs a week) and that she did not informed relevant authorities about additional occupancy pretending it just friends staying over. I live in the above flat and can see them everyday as the smoke into my windows hence I know they have been living at this address for over 2 years illegally . After i reported this my manipulative neighbor made allegations that I made false accusations about her behaviour and I was issued Eith harassment warningleeter by police who refused to take my statement . I complained with ipcc and appealed to dps ( still waiting for the reply) . While everyone tries to,convinced me that once you own property you can do what you like I am sure there limitations and surely you must report if someone lives in your property for over 2 years , please advise . Thanks Gabriela
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youI am afraid that in fact your neighbour is not committing any offences in terms of the occupation of her property.Yes it sounds very overcrowded but if she is willing to live that way then she is entitled to do soShe does not have to report her extra occupants to anyone at all - she is entitled to have her friend and her child living with her - and indeed for the friend's partner to return if he wishes.It is of course still possible that she is receiving benefits to which she is not entitled - but without further evidence there is little point in reporting it.I can only repeat - so long as she is also living in the property then she is committing no offence whatsoever either criminal of civil by having her friend live there too.I am sorry - I know that this is not what you hoped to hear but I must tell you the law as it is.Clare
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry - I know that it is not what you wish to hear - but you have no way of knowing if she is reporting the income to HMRC and in fact there is no basis on which they would be concerned unless she is receiving more than half the mortgage and bills.I appreciate that it is overcrowding and agree that that is not good for chidlren BUT that is no something that you can be involve din - especially as you have already been given an unjustified warning.She is not running a boarding house for multiple lodgers - that would be a breach of planning - and I am afraid that what everyone has told you is correct - and I cannot mislead you - based on what you have told me so far she may well be a bad neighbour - but she is not doing anything you can report her for