How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My daughter is currently living away from home and has been

Customer Question

My daughter is currently living away from home and has been for a couple of months. She had been having lots of behavioural issues at school which caused a lot of rows at home culminating in her going to stay at a friends as we felt we could not cope anymore. The are safeguarding issues as the school referred her due to mental health issues she has now been diagnosed with acute anxiety she was also excluded from school until she had a diagnosis she is not back st school yet but there is a meeting next. Social Services now want to put a Section 20 in place. We have been in contact with our daughter and expressed our wish that she comes back home but she is adamant that she doesn't want to come back. Should we now go ahead with the Section 20. She can't stay where she is long term as it was only supposed to be temporary arrangement my daughter us 14 she will be 15 in August. We are hoping that in time she will decide to come home but we obviously need to find a way forward. I would be grateful for some advice. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. A Section 20 agreement is usually a short-term agreement whereby everyone who has parental responsibility for the child agrees to the proposed arrangements, usually for a child to be placed away from home. The Section 20 agreement does not grant the local authority parental responsibility but allows them to propose where she is placed. In the event of you withdrawing your Section 20 agreement, the Local Authority will consider whether there are grounds to apply to court for a care order. If you think for the time being that it is necessary for her to be placed elsewhere then you should consider entering into the Section 20 agreement. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.