How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50138
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I work company in Ireland that is closing business. I

This answer was rated:

I work for a company in Ireland that is closing business. I will be transfered to another company in the UK. What do I need to know
Hello what specific queries do you have about this please?
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The company will issue me with a P45 form which denotes end of employment. Then I will be paid from a different employers registration number. The company are telling me that I won't break my service years which at present is 31 and I will be intitled to the same redundancy package that the other employes recieved if the new company ever closes. Do they legally have to put this in writing.
No they do not have to out this in writing, because your continuity of employment is determined by law, it is a matter of fact, rather than what is in writing. Nevertheless, you may wish to ask them to clarify this in the new contract you will be issued with by the new company. They could have a phrase at the beginning stating that "For the purposes of continuity of employment, the starting date of this contract will be X [that being the original start date]"