How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I left my husband and our family home a year ago which is

This answer was rated:

Hi I left my husband and our family home a year ago which is a housing association home. I was on the tenancy as a single tenant and after I left I added him into the tenancy as a joint tenant. I would like to know what rights I have as I am now privately renting which is considerable more expensive. He has moved his pregnant girlfriend in and I earn considerably more money than him. Do I have any rights to my house? Thanks
Hi, thank you for your question. As your name is ***** ***** tenancy you have a legal interest in the property and also a right to reside there - this can only end if your name is ***** ***** the tenancy or if a court order is made excluding you from the property.Legally speaking you can move back in and he cannot prevent this, however, practically this may prove to be more difficult.I would suggest that if you wish to return to the home you inform him formally in writing that you are exercising your legal right to occupy the property and give him a date that you will be returning. He will then need to make arrangements for his partner to leave as she does not have a legal right to live there.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you